Last Christmas, people gave fraudsters their cash,
And the very next second, it was gone in a flash.
This year, to save you from tears,
Please follow our guide to shop safely, safely...
Whilst this might not be the best version of Wham's classic Christmas song, we hope it's got your attention! Online shopping is a glittering, golden opportunity for fraudsters and last year the average victim lost nearly £800 to internet shopping scams. We're on a mission to keep your cash safe so please follow our online shopping safety tips:
1. Ensure any website you visit is secure - look for the padlock icon on the web address bar and check it starts 'https'
2. Use strong passwords and 2 factor authentication where possible.
3. Use legitimate retailers, check independent reviews and if you're buying an expensive item, check the manufacturer's list of authorised distributors.
4. Pay with a credit card where possible and a secure payment provider like Paypal if you can.
5. Be vigilant for fake or 'spoof' websites which cleverly imitate legitimate retailers.
6. Know your consumer rights
7. Trust your instincts - if something looks too good to be true, it's likely to be exactly that!